Do you know these five facts about Cradle to Cradle Certified Products?
Many manufactures across multiple industries have made sustainability a core value in their marketing messages. In response to this demand, new sustainability labels are constantly being created. The proliferation of labels, some of which are just mere marketing ploys, creates rampant confusion among architects and designers trying to choose a truly sustainable product. Given the current time constraints and pressures, researching the various labels that exist is often times difficult. Here are five facts about Cradle to Cradle Certified products that may help give a better understanding of what this product label means to you.
- Cradle to Cradle Certified is a recognized product label by the U.S. Green Building Council.
- Under LEED v4, additional LEED points may be earned for using Cradle to Cradle Certified products.
- Cradle to Cradle Certified cuts through attempts to “green wash” products by providing objective assessments in five categories: Material Health, Reuse, Water Stewardship, Renewable Energy and Social Fairness.
- Cradle to Cradle principles, taken broadly, have been applied to urban systems and buildings in addition to products, as with the Ford River Rouge Complex in Dearborn, MI.
- Cradle to Cradle seeks to create a world of abundance through beautiful products designed intelligently for unlimited reuse eliminating the concept of waste.
Cradle to Cradle tiles
Mosa is the world’s first ceramic tile company to gain full Cradle to Cradle® Silver certification for its entire tile collection. Mosa tiles are the only C2C silver certified tiles in the world. Learn how that can contribute to your LEED certified building projects.
Rigor is often times a good measure of authenticity
When comparing the various sustainability labels that exist, asking the question “ how hard is it for a manufacturer to attain the label?” can be one way of quickly ascertaining the label’s authenticity. Other questions to ask are the following:
- Is the product label recognized by governmental agencies?
- Is the product label from an independent third party organization?
Cradle to Cradle is an independent third party organization. It involves a very rigorous process that can take years to achieve. We at Mosa are very proud to be the first, and currently only, ceramic and porcelain manufacturer to achieve Cradle to Cradle Silver Certification.